In no particular order.
10. I am *hantec, thou shalt not have any other dialects before me.
9. Thou shalt take a shot of slivovice/Becherovka daily to ward off germs.
(Slivovice, or plum brandy, is a strong, pharynx-burning alcohol made of fermented plums [slivky], and Becherovka is a spa-famous herb liquor.)
8. Thou shalt scoop all the egg white from the shell of the domestic chicken so as not to waste it.
7. Thou shalt freeze enough gathered mushrooms to last the whole year.
6. Thou shalt make enough cukroví – Christmas cookies – to last until at least February. Remember thy gingerbread.
5. Thou shalt drink thy body’s liters of blood in burčák every September.
White and red varieties of the young, fizzy, still-fermenting wine.
4. Thou shalt condemn the wine tastes of the Pražáci (“Prague People”).
Moravia is where many of the vineyards are at.
3. Honor thy local hospoda (pub) by visiting every weekend. Often on weeknights. Sometimes during lunch.
2. Thou shalt always toast before the beer foam disappears, and thou shalt give the waiter hell if the beer doesn’t reach the .5 liter line.
1. Thou shalt never take the home cooking of your babička in vain.
*Thanks Milan Kundera for introducing me to hantec before I even came to Czech Republic, and said whaaaaaat?
[…] I know has apple, plum and cherry trees and they are super prepared every year for juicing, slivovice-ing, and jam-making – often you will find them in a public place or on the street, where […]
[…] example, Brno-speak is called Hantec. They call the tram (tramvaj) a šalina instead – this is the major example everyone […]
[…] Zemské Muzeum at Palác Šlechtičen and Moravská Galerie v Brně. The first has exhibits about Moravian history and culture, while the second is a modern art […]
[…] In Moravia: loud laughter – I love everyone – next bottle […]
[…] lot of Czechs (at least the Moravians I know) will disagree with that. They think Pilsner is too mainstream and expensive (mainly expensive) and […]
[…] grumbling or complaining under the breath types. But one thing that really pisses them off is their legal right to exactly .5 liters of beer, with the foam only above that […]
“Moravia is where all the vineyards are at.” Please do a double check on this one. I know for a fact that the vineyards behind my fathers house in around the city of Most are most definitely seated in the north CZ, not Moravia. And even though Moravia is the wine crown Jewel of Czech Republic it is not the only place producing good wine in the country…
Hi Minehava, thanks for your comment- I meant it as I joke but I do understand that there are vineyards elsewhere 🙂